This hearty dish definitely spices up a winter evening. Perfect with fresh country bread and a glass of Rioja.
- 3 chorizo sausages, cut into chunks
- 2 handfuls of shrimp, about 16-18 pieces total
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2/3 cup cooked kidney beans
- 2 x 400 g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to season
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 150℃. With rack at bottom.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in an oven-proof, heavy duty pot at medium-high heat. Add onion, sauté until translucent (about 3-5 minutes), then add garlic.
Turn heat down to medium, then add dried oregano, paprika, cumin, chipotle pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to coat onion and garlic.
Add sausages and fry until oil is released. Add beans and stir to combine (about 5-8 minutes).
Add tomato paste and stir to coat the seasonings over all the vegetables and sausages. Now add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover pot with lid and let it slow cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Check once halfway through cooking and stir.
Serve with fresh bread or steamed rice.